Let me start off by saying that I thought I had to have a full bladder for this ultrasound appointment, so by the time I got to the appointment I had easily had 60 oz. of water. The nurse asked me if I needed to "release any fluid" before the session began so I did. Well, needless to say that throughout the appointment I had to "rerelease" three more times! The nurse said that my bladder fills up really quickly, so now I know...no water before my next appointment. :)
When the session began I started to get nervous because it took her at least 3-4 minutes to even get a view of the baby. She said that my bowels were in the way (weird) and they were forming "cloud like shadows" over the baby. She had be adjust in three different positions and then there it was...the baby!! I couldn't believe how much bigger it had gotten. No long a gummy bear, the baby looked like a mini human with facial features coming in. The technician was so sweet and explained everything in detail; I could tell she knew I was a very jittery/nervous person. We listened to the heartbeat, 160 beats per minutes, and she showed me the baby's spine and then the line separating the baby's brain hemispheres. It was awesome! The baby had hiccups and was kicking and moving its arms; it was an amazing sight to see! She also told me that the baby is measuring 13 w 3 d right now and technically I'm only 12 w 6 d. She told me that it is normal for babies to measure either a bit big or a bit small right now and that with each appointment better measurements will be taken!
When she began to take her measurements she ran into a few "speed-bumps." She told me that the baby already has a mind of its own (go figure) and it was not cooperating with her in order to get the images she needed. At one point I had to stand up and touch my toes ten times and then lay in several positions just in order to get a few shots. She then had to jiggle my tummy just a bit in order to get the baby to try and turn over. She was looking for a good image of the back of the baby's neck to measure the translucency. Well, she finally got two and then it was time to go.
I then traveled up to the fourth floor of the building for my check up with Dr. Smith. My blood pressure was down, 120/80, so she and I were both happy with those numbers. I still need to be working hard at trying to get that bottom number down just a bit. She told me everything looked/sounded good and to come back in four weeks. We should have the results of our NT test and bloodwork sometime this week...so now it's just a waiting game.
Ryan and I just stared and stared and stared some more at the pictures last night. We compared them to our first pictures of the little nugget and it just made us smile. It still amazes me that this baby started as a tiny cell and yet it has so much more growing to do over the next 6 months. I've come to realize I've been extremely lucky and blessed during my first trimester with just how great I've felt. Not having to deal with any of the dreadful symptoms has caused me to feel like, "is something wrong?" but now I know that every pregnancy is different and I should just thank God that things have been smooth sailing. Below are a few pictures from our 12 week ultrasound. I can't wait until we get some more pictures :)
close up view of the baby's face and tummy. You can see the bones starting to form!
whole body shot; such a cute arm and foot :)


What a perfect miracle! We love Baby S so much already!!!
ReplyDelete